If you love veggie burgers, here’s an easy vegetarian bean burgers recipe you’ve got to try.
For years, I made veggie burgers only using black beans. But after spending a huge chunk of time in France, where finding black beans is nearly impossible and finding restaurants that serve veggie burgers is equally difficult, I had to find a new recipe solution.
Instead of black beans, this recipe uses chickpeas and kidney beans. These burgers feel lighter than black bean burgers to eat, yet they leave you fully satisfied.
My Favorite Easy Vegetarian Burgers Recipe
I am totally sold on this veggie burger recipe. I was skeptical at first to swap black beans for chickpeas and kidney beans, but it turns out they make pretty fantastic burgers. My teenagers and I love these burgers, even my meat-burger-loving son.
These easy vegetarian bean burgers are gluten free. They are great on a gluten free bun, lettuce wrap bun, or on top of a bed of lettuce/salad and veggies.
Some veggie burger recipes require egg(s). This vegetarian bean burger recipe does not call for any eggs, so it is also vegan.
Pair with Guacamole or Garlic Aioli
These burgers taste delicious served with traditional condiments, like ketchup and mayo. However, I love to pair them with freshly made guacamole or homemade garlic aioli. Yum!!!
The Health Benefits of Chickpeas and Kidney Beans
Some people consider chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) a superfood. They are thought to help with digestive health, weight loss, blood sugar regulation, inflammation, and heart health, and cancer prevention. They are also a source of protein.
Kidney beans are also a source of protein. They are said to offer health benefits, like improving digestive health and lowering “bad” cholesterol.
This recipe is easy and quick to make. It is also an inexpensive, filling meal that can be dressed up with traditional condiments, like ketchup, or with homemade guacamole or garlic aioli.
This recipe easily makes 6-8 burgers, depending on the size of your patties.
If you have some of the basics for this recipe already in your cupboard, like cumin, it’s easy to make this recipe (including homemade buns and guacamole) into a quick lunch or dinner for less than $10 (possibly wayyyyy less than this, depending on where you shop for beans, and whether you use canned or dry and depending on the season).
Easy Vegetarian Bean Burgers
- 1 16 oz (*400 gram) can Kidney Beans
- 1 16oz (*400 gram) can Chickpeas
- 1/2 Yellow Pepper
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 1/4 Medium Size Onion
- 1 chopped Chive (or substitute green onion/scallion)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Mixed Herb Spices (or Parsley, Coriander, Cilantro, whatever you have on hand)
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 tsp olive oil or oil of choice *optional if you have non-stick pan
- Drain and rinse beans. Put into a mixing bowl. Mash by hand with a fork or use a masher.
- Chop peppers, onion, green onion/scallions, or chives into fine pieces. Crush garlic with garlic press or chop into fine pieces. Add all chopped ingredients to mixing bowl with beans.
- Add spices to mixing bowl and stir to combine all ingredients.
- On a clean, dry, flat surface, sprinkle gluten free flour.
- Lightly oil a frying pan or skip the oil completely if using a non-stick pan.
- Scoop burger mixture and hand-form the patties (the mixture should make approximately 6-8 patties of about 3-4 inches in diameter). Once shaped, place the burgers in the gluten free flour and get a dusting of flour on each side. Then fry on medium heat until brown and crispy on each side for approximately 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Top with homemade guacamole, garlic aioli, or your favorite condiments. Enjoy!
- It’s easy to save leftovers or freeze these veggie burgers. Make them ahead of time, freeze, and then heat & serve when ready to eat!